Stop being afraid of who you are! Whether you're afraid to wear what you want, be what you want, do what you want, or say what you want... just stop! Be yourself, and don't be afraid!
I'm writing this entry because today is the day that I stopped being afraid. I submitted a job application that truly embraced who I am and I wasn't afraid to share it. Sure, there were some nerves involved, because there's always the chance that the receiving end of the application may not be so receptive. But we can't be everybody's cup of tea (and why would we want to be?).
A friend told me recently, "Maybe you're approaching it wrong. Maybe instead of coming up with an answer that you think they're looking for, you come up with YOUR OWN answer." She was right. I've spent so much time trying to answer an interview/application question the way I think they'd want me to answer it, when all along I should've just been answering it from my heart. Well, today I left the cookie-cutter cover letter template in the dust and wrote one from my heart. When applying for jobs, I'd always been so afraid of coming across as "too confident" or even a bit cocky, but today I was confident in myself and I feel great about it! Let's be honest, if you aren't confident in yourself, who else will be?
I'm writing this entry because today is the day that I stopped being afraid. I submitted a job application that truly embraced who I am and I wasn't afraid to share it. Sure, there were some nerves involved, because there's always the chance that the receiving end of the application may not be so receptive. But we can't be everybody's cup of tea (and why would we want to be?).
A friend told me recently, "Maybe you're approaching it wrong. Maybe instead of coming up with an answer that you think they're looking for, you come up with YOUR OWN answer." She was right. I've spent so much time trying to answer an interview/application question the way I think they'd want me to answer it, when all along I should've just been answering it from my heart. Well, today I left the cookie-cutter cover letter template in the dust and wrote one from my heart. When applying for jobs, I'd always been so afraid of coming across as "too confident" or even a bit cocky, but today I was confident in myself and I feel great about it! Let's be honest, if you aren't confident in yourself, who else will be?
Have you ever heard the saying, "Confidence is contagious." Think about this for a second... you see a woman walking down the street with her head held high, and a smile on her face... I mean, you can just feel the positivity and confidence rolling off her. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Don't you instantly start wishing you could also be that way? Well, you can! And then imagine if by not being afraid and believing in yourself, you were also helping someone else be confident in themselves! Boom... domino effect! And what a wonderful way to live.
The moral of this story is this... the moment you start believing in yourself and quit thinking you aren't enough, and STOP BEING AFRAID, is the exact moment that good things will start happening in your life. Even if nothing happens with the job I applied for, I am proud of myself for overcoming a huge fear in my life. I'm proud of the courage I had to step outside of my comfort zone. What will you do today to stop being afraid?
I'll leave you with a Dr. Seuss quote my dad recently sent me...“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
And just as another little mood booster, listen to this: