You don't realize how much s*** you have until you take it down 3 flights of stairs, and out 3 doors to the curb.
It definitely hasn't been lost on me how much stuff I have, but lately I've been thinking about it more and more. How many times do I pass by those same shirts, and those same pants, thinking "eh, not today"? Of course I can't get rid of them though, because what if I need it for that special event that doesn't yet exist? Or what if one day I wake up and decide that I finally like wearing high heels? Or what if I instantly lose 20 pounds and can finally fit into those size 4 shorts? Guess what, that special event has yet to arrive, I still hate high heels, and my love of grilled cheese isn't going anywhere. And it probably never will.
Wayne Dyer refers to this common problem as the 80/20 rule - we only wear roughly 20% of the things we have in our closet. Those other 80%? Special occasions. That never, ever, come. In this really amazing video, Dr. Dyer talked about getting rid of every single thing he owned, including his house, and how it changed his life. Let's be honest, there are a lot of people out there who could benefit from our "80%". In fact, just last week, I donated a huge bag of clothes to my cleaning lady who was currently living at a women's shelter. I can't even explain how great I felt after doing that.
I don't know about you, but I'm tired of feeling that anxiety every time I look at my closet. I'm ready to shed the weight (figuratively of course). And if I can't get rid of every single thing I own (because let's be honest, I need some of it, and I'm not running a Fortune 500 company... yet), I'll do it one box to the curb at a time.
Who's with me?