Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Putting Fear in the Backseat

Is there something in your life that you're afraid to do? No matter how many times you're confronted with the situation, and as bad as you may want to overcome it, you just can't? And boy does it keep popping up... It's almost as if the Universe is trying to show you something, saying "Here it is again! And I'm going to keep making this happen until you do something."

If you found yourself agreeing with the above, then we're in the same boat. There's a person whom I've never met before, that I keep crossing paths with and it's been happening A LOT lately. I see them on the subway, I see them walking by on the street - and since I no longer believe in coincidences I feel as though it's my sign from the Universe that I'm supposed to connect with this person, talk to them, or something. But there's that lovely little thing called fear that keeps hopping in the passenger seat of my car, leaning over trying to control the wheel. And I let it. 

But just as soon as I walk away, and am removed from the situation, I think to myself "Why didn't you say something? You had the perfect opportunity!" Regret and disappointment set in for a bit. And then I pick myself back up and repeatedly say, "Next time for SURE!" Next time comes, and the cycle continues.

So, what can we do?

Rob Bell has an exciting way to look at fear, specifically the fear of failure (and isn't that what we're all afraid of?). When thoughts like "But you could screw it up!" and "It could be a huge disaster!" and "You could make a fool out of yourself!" come into your mind, you simply reply with a grin and an "I know." :) Perhaps we should all respond this way when we have these thoughts. Try it now. Doesn't it feel good? 

I'm done letting fear run my life. And as Liz Gilbert likes to say, I'll let fear ride in the car but I'm going to make it sit in the back seat and it does NOT get to control the music. Next time I cross paths with this person, I'm going to start a conversation. And while fear is trying to throw me off course, I'm going to simply respond with an "I know" and a smile, and I hope you have the courage to do the same.

Is that scary? Yes. Could it go terribly wrong? Probably. But should I let that stop me? Not anymore. 

You wanna be really great? 
Then have the courage to fail big and stick around
Make them wonder why you're still smiling.

<3 S